Monday, October 18, 2010

Introduction

  Hi, I am a Chicagoan and I would like to share what I experience in the city of Chicago on a daily basis.  o.k., I'm technically a suburbanite, but I have spent a majority of the last 10 years in Chicago, first for school and then for my job.  I actually spend more time in a week in Chicago then I do in the suburbs, so therefore I do consider myself a Chicagoan. 
  Every day I see interesting, amazing, and crazy things that happen in Chicago and I would like to share them.  I would like to share my random thoughts, along with my great (and not so great) experiences.  I would also like to keep people informed with what is going on out and about in Chicago.  I hope that both native Chicagoans and those not so familiar with Chicago will enjoy my blog. 
  The first Chicago "happening" I would like to share is an event that took place last Thursday, October 14th, at the Istituto Italiano di Cultura (the Italian Institute of Culture).  It was a presentation about the book, "It Happened In Italy" by Elizabeth Bettina.  She was accompanied by Holocaust/Final Solution survivor, Ursula Korn-Selig.  It was a wonderful presentation about how Italy was able to save 80% of its Jewish population during the Holocaust.  The book shows photos and gives detailed accounts from both Jewish survivors and Italians.  Many Italians risked their lives to help the Jews that fled to Italy during this time.  I'm so glad that we were able to attend this presentation and I would definitely recommend it to others.  The Italian Institute of Culture has many other events and provides many great resources as well, such as Italian language courses.
  Wow, my introduction post was longer then expected.  I do not plan on making my posts this long in the future but I guess I had a lot to say to introduce myself and my purpose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment